Simple meaning of Filter is to get only relevant information from the heap of data.
Data and Information
Before moving ahead I just wanted to make you understand the difference between Data and Information. Data is a collection of lots of content in the form of Numbers, characters, images
Need of Filter
Suppose, we have a long
But as an employee or staff member one has to analyse only the data related to his/her Region. In that case one could apply Filter on Region Column to see only particular data.
Applying Data > Filter
Applying Filter on any data table is as simple as just to click on icon as mentioned below:
- Select the Range of data table on which you have to apply the filter. Or simply you can select the first Row in the table.
- Click on the Data in Menu.
- Click on Filter icon.
- Observed that drop-down icon will appear for all the columns in the table.
Now, First row will appear as described below:
Extract information using Filter
Now click on any drop-down icon from the first row. In this
We can see a pop-up box with many options.
- By default, it will contain all the Unique values with Checkboxes from the Region column.
- All the values remain selected.
- Click to uncheck Select All option, it will deselect all the checkboxes.
- Now, click only that checkbox(value) for which you are looking for. In this example, we are using “East” value.
- Click OK button to Apply the Filter.
- Now you will get an updated table which contains records only related to the East Region as mentioned below:
Now you have only relevant Information from the heap of Data.
Applying Multiple Filters
There are certain requirement where we need to refine above information with some specific condition. Suppose, in above example now we need to see only that rows which contains “Pen” in the “Item” column.
To achieve this we have to follow Steps #1 to 5 as mentioned in above section for “Item” column and need to select “Pen” checkbox in the Filter Pop-up box. Now, will get less number of records:
Removing Filter from the Data Table
There are multiple ways to remove the Filter from the column or entire table.
- Click on the filter drop-down on the applied column and click to check “Select All” option then click on OK button to show all the records.
- Secondly, you can click on Clear Filter From “Item” option to remove Filter for this column.
Sometimes, we need to remove the filter from the entire table at once to show all the data. To achieve this we need to again click on Filter icon under Data Menu.
Help & Support
If you want to get the sample data in Excel format or any type of help on this topic, click below link:
- Computer Basics -1 || Introduction and Structure of Computer.
- Computer Basics -2 || Types of Computers and Usage.
- Computer Basics -3 || What are the different types of Software?
- Computer Basics -4 || Importance of Operating System(OS).
- Computer Basics -5 || Understanding of Number System.
- Computer Basics -6 || Understanding MS-DOS Commands.
- Computer Basics -7 || Important Features of MS-Word.
- Computer Basics -8 || Let’s learn the usage of MS-Excel.
- Computer Basics -9 || Understand and Implement Data Validation in Excel.
- Computer Basics -10 || How to apply Filter in a data set in Excel?
- Computer Basics -11 || Using Charts in place of Data Tables in Excel.
- Computer Basics -12 || Advantages of PivotCharts over Simple Charts in Excel.
- Computer Basics -13 || Creating pivot charts/tables in Excel.
- Abbreviations to Full-Forms in Computer Basics.
- Basic Java – 1 || Understand Java before start learning JAVA.
- Basic Java – 2 || Variables and Data Types used in JAVA.
- Basic Java – 3 || Understanding Class, Objects, Methods in Java.
- Basic Java – 4 || More on methods(Return Type and Parameters)
- Basic Java – 5 || Methods- Call by Value and Call by Reference in Java.
- Basic Java – 6 || Understanding of Constructor and Destructor in JAVA.
- Basic Java – 7 || Static Variables and Methods.
- Basic Java – 8 || Lets learn about Arrays in Java.
- Basic Java – 9 || Performing multiple operations using Java Operators.
- Basic Java – 10 || Conditions (If and Switch) in JAVA.
- Basic Java – 11 || for and for-each in Java. (Loops Part-1)
- Basic Java – 12 || Alternate looping concepts while and do-while. (Loops Part-2)
- Basic Java – 13 || Decimal values v/s Octal base(8) values in JAVA.
- Basic Java – 14 || Difference between IndexOf() and lastIndexOf() methods of Strings in JAVA.
- Basic Java – 15 || Runtime User Input using Scanner Class (Part-1).
- Basic Java – 16 || Runtime User Input using BufferedReader Class (Part-2).
- Basic Java – 17 || Runtime User Input using Console Class (Part-3).
- Basic Java – 18 || Difference between break and continue keywords.
- Basic Java – 19 || Sending Email using Java (Part-1).
- Basic Java – 20 || Sending Email with attachment using Java (Part-2).
- File Handling | Reading data from word document(.doc or .docx) in JAVA.
- File Handling | Reading data from Excel files (.xls or .xlsx) using JAVA.
- File Handling | Writing data into an Excel(.XLSX or .XLS) File.
- File Handling | Implement formatting in Excel using Java.
- File Handling | Copy existing data from one workbook to another workbook in Java.
- File Handling | Reading data from PDF file using JAVA.
- File Handling || Traverse folders and subfolders in Java.
- File Handling || Reading and Writing data from a text file.
- File Handling || Multiple file creation using template based input data.
- Framework || Simple example of Key Driven Framework using excel sheet in Selenium(JAVA).
- QnA | Difference between Integer and int keywords.
- QnA | Can main method be overloaded?
- QnA | How do I reverse a String/Sentence in Java?
- QnA | Perform Multiplication and Division without * or / or % operators.
- QnA | How do I get the default value of data type?
- QnA | How to split String if it contains period symbol (.) in between?
- Different ways to Reverse a String in Java.
- Copy formatting & style of cells from one sheet to another.
- Getting IP address and Hostname using InetAddress Class.
- User inputs via Command Prompt using arguments of main() method of a class.
- Program for List and ArrayList in Java.
- Useful methods and implementation under Scanner Class.
- Swapping two variable values without using any third variable.
- Difference between int x= 10 and y=010 in Java.
- Parameterized Constructors v/s Setter and Getter function in JAVA.
- Override a Static Method.
1583total visits,1visits today